Take the plunge and invest in a spiral slicer. This is a perfect fresh salad for a hot day! The salad is tossed with a toasted sesame oil and ginger vinegar dressing. Add some rotisserie chicken or grilled shrimp to this for a hearty summer meal.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 large carrot, spiralized or julienned (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon black or white sesame seeds for garnish
- 1/4 cup honey ginger vinegar (Amphora*)
- 1/3 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil (Amphora*)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- A pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Using your spiralizer, follow the manufacturer’s directions and spiralize the zucchini. The “zoodles” can get long, so you’ll want to use kitchen shears to shorten them and make them easier to toss with the other vegetables.
- 4 medium zucchini should give you about 5 to 6 cups of “zoodles”. Place the zoodles in a colander in a sink and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. While you’re prepping the other vegetables let the zoodles drain a bit of their excess moisture. Zucchini noodles will sweat more the longer they sit.
- After prepping the remaining vegetables, toss them all together.
- Whisk the vinegar and oil together and pour over the vegetables just prior to serving. Dianne’s preference is a bit more sesame oil in her salad, but you can adjust the flavors to your liking.
* Amphora is a local company providing premium, infused olive oil and vinegar. They add great flavor to your salads at a great price.